Car shipping from Wilmington across the continent is not only possible these days it’s also easy. With today’s technology, international car shipping is relatively easy compared to what it used to be in the past. Communications technologies are flawless and you can even track your car online.That being the case, international car shipping saw a great surge lately.
A lot of people find it unnecessary to sell their car especially if it’s their baby, when they need to move abroad. Another reason for not selling a car is when it’s still relatively new and buying a new one is just expensive for you at the moment. If you are planning to move abroad with your car, there are a few things that you need to know about car shipping, so read on. In this article I will be giving you some tips that you can follow in order to ship your car across international boarder without a hitch.
1. The standard services As far as international car shipping is concerned, the standard service is the roll on roll off method also known as ro-ro method. In this type of service, all you need to do is drive your car to the cargo deck of the ship. Once in there, it will be securely fastened and that’s it, all you need to do is go to your suite and wait until you arrive. The moment you arrive, you will then drive your car outside of the ship and then you are good to go. That is why it is called roll on roll off.
2. Enclosed container Your other option would be to use a close container. This is a bit pricey but it offers a lot of protections for your car. If you choose this option, your car will be placed within a closed container and will strapped secured into place. The real advantage of the closed container against the ro-ro method is that your car is not exposed to the natural elements.
3. Insurance policy An insurance policy is one thing that you have to be sure you have when shipping your car internationally. If you are short on money, you can get a $500 coverage for standard cosmetic damage. If you want a full coverage, you have to get a Marine Shipping Insurance for a higher price. The one thing that you have to avoid is shipping your car without a coverage because not only is it illegal, it’s also dangerous.
4. Know the different levies When crossing international boundaries, you have to know the levies of different countries. At this point, you will have to decide whether it is more feasible to just sell your car or to continue with the car shipping process because levies can make the overall cost quite high. For example, countries like Australia and France charge custom fees at 30% of the car’s Blue Book value.
5. Other reminders Be sure that you are present both during the pre-shipping and post-shipping inspection. This is important because all the current damages of your car must be clearly spelled out. You must have your own copy of the bill of lading because you will need this upon the arrival of your car.If you know these things, you will see that international car shipping isn’t really that difficult. Just remember, you don’t need to prematurely sell your car in case you need to move abroad because international car shipping is now safe and doable.
Do You Have Any Of These Top Ten Auto Shipping Concerns in Wilmington?
Car Shipping Help
Hawaii poses a unique set of challenges to shipping an automobile. The import procedure is the same as anywhere else in the United States but the actual physical delivery of the vehicle requires some additional work.
Hawaii, even though it's considered one state, is made up of five separate islands that all have a different port of call. If you are moving to one of these islands you can't just tell a shipping company that you need auto shipping to Hawaii. It's necessary to be more specific.
The main port of entry for imports is Honolulu at the island of Oahu. This harbor services the capitol city and is the normal import point for most goods that are brought into Hawaii by ship. If you are auto shipping to Hawaii and you have your vehicle sent to Honolulu it is possible to transport it to another island by ferry without having to pay another duty or import tax.
Other available ports are Hilo on the island of Hawaii, Kahului on Maui, Kawaihe on Hawaii, Nawiilwili on Kauai, Kaunakakai on Mologai and Kaumalapau on Lanai. If you are going to Hawaii for the first time check with your shipping company to make sure you send your car to the port nearest to where you will be staying.
Taxes and fees for auto shipping to Hawaii differ based on the point of origin. If you are shipping from another state and have already paid excise tax in that state there will be no additional duty when you reach Hawaii. The exception to this is a purchase of a vehicle made less than ninety days before shipping. If your car is a new acquisition you will have to pay a Hawaii use tax unless you can prove that it was purchased to be used elsewhere and the auto shipping to Hawaii is incidental.
If you are importing a car from another country into Hawaii you will be subject to duty tax assessed by the United States Customs office. As with any other international import, remove all personal items and anything that might be considered a taxable or contraband item from the vehicle before shipping. Your auto shipping company should be able to tell you what the import tax will be when you reach Hawaii.
Car dealers and military personnel are the only people not subject to a use tax in Hawaii, but they may be subject to import or duty tax depending on the number of vehicles being shipped. This is the area where it becomes crucial to have a reliable auto shipping company handle your affairs. Find someone with experience and knowledge in the area of fees and services when you ship a vehicle. It's going to be expensive no matter what you do, but a quality shipping company can help you avoid unnecessary costs and headaches.
I can tell you that moving to Florida was a great and hectic experience. Perhaps the one part of the whole move that sticks out in my mind the most is the fact that I had to find a way to move my vehicles as well as my things. Thankfully, a friend of mine shared some information on Florida car shipping companies that allowed me to find a great company for my cars to be shipped by.State SpecificWhile there are many choices out there for vehicle transport, I used a Florida car shipping company for my move to this state. Each state has a multitude of companies that offer this service, so each individual will have to make the choice for themselves as to which company they use. I was able to get my cars ready for transport after choosing a company. These are my show cars, and they needed the best protection. The company gave me information on car transport and the state of Florida, which explained to me that the salty Florida air can often have an adverse effect on vehicle paint. Many cars in the state of Florida suffer from paint that is faded or starts to turn different colors. Because the company told me this ahead of time, I was able to get my cars special covers that would protect them along the trip. The sun was also a concern for my cars, as the harmful UV rays can harm both the paint as well as the interior. I learned that the rays in the state are stronger than what I am used to, so I should protect my car in one of two ways. I was told that I could get special window shades that would block the harmful rays from entering the vehicle. I might want to purchase tinting as well, which is something that could be purchased after I moved into the state.KnowledgeableA good Florida car shipping company should always be able to give consumers helpful information about the specific state that the cars are moving to. Any good car transport company should always uphold this idea. The overall experience taught me many different things. One of the most important to me was the legal side of things. In New York, the automobile laws are quite different, especially when it comes to insurance requirements. It seems, according to what I was told, that people are able to damage another's property and get away with it under the Florida no fault laws. I learned a lot, especially about ways that I can protect myself and my cars with uninsured motorist coverages. HelpfulA Florida car shipping company will always fall under Florida laws because that is their home state. They should provide a consumer with copies of everything they need to know, including any rights and responsibilities. A company should always try to answer any questions that a consumer might have. Florida is vastly different from the New York that I was used to, but thanks to Florida car shipping, my cars and I made it to my new home in one piece.