Car shipping from Rancho Cucamonga across the continent is not only possible these days it’s also easy. With today’s technology, international car shipping is relatively easy compared to what it used to be in the past. Communications technologies are flawless and you can even track your car online.That being the case, international car shipping saw a great surge lately.
A lot of people find it unnecessary to sell their car especially if it’s their baby, when they need to move abroad. Another reason for not selling a car is when it’s still relatively new and buying a new one is just expensive for you at the moment. If you are planning to move abroad with your car, there are a few things that you need to know about car shipping, so read on. In this article I will be giving you some tips that you can follow in order to ship your car across international boarder without a hitch.
1. The standard services As far as international car shipping is concerned, the standard service is the roll on roll off method also known as ro-ro method. In this type of service, all you need to do is drive your car to the cargo deck of the ship. Once in there, it will be securely fastened and that’s it, all you need to do is go to your suite and wait until you arrive. The moment you arrive, you will then drive your car outside of the ship and then you are good to go. That is why it is called roll on roll off.
2. Enclosed container Your other option would be to use a close container. This is a bit pricey but it offers a lot of protections for your car. If you choose this option, your car will be placed within a closed container and will strapped secured into place. The real advantage of the closed container against the ro-ro method is that your car is not exposed to the natural elements.
3. Insurance policy An insurance policy is one thing that you have to be sure you have when shipping your car internationally. If you are short on money, you can get a $500 coverage for standard cosmetic damage. If you want a full coverage, you have to get a Marine Shipping Insurance for a higher price. The one thing that you have to avoid is shipping your car without a coverage because not only is it illegal, it’s also dangerous.
4. Know the different levies When crossing international boundaries, you have to know the levies of different countries. At this point, you will have to decide whether it is more feasible to just sell your car or to continue with the car shipping process because levies can make the overall cost quite high. For example, countries like Australia and France charge custom fees at 30% of the car’s Blue Book value.
5. Other reminders Be sure that you are present both during the pre-shipping and post-shipping inspection. This is important because all the current damages of your car must be clearly spelled out. You must have your own copy of the bill of lading because you will need this upon the arrival of your car.If you know these things, you will see that international car shipping isn’t really that difficult. Just remember, you don’t need to prematurely sell your car in case you need to move abroad because international car shipping is now safe and doable.
Do You Have Any Of These Top Ten Auto Shipping Concerns in Rancho Cucamonga?
International Car Shipping - A Car Shipping Guide
First of all, you want to get your vehicle ready for international car shipping. It calls for cleaning of any dirt and removing any personal items, accessories or tools that are valuable to you as well as leaving the fuel to less than 1/8 in the tank. (I strongly recommend shipping your car completely empty to avoid any issues with the shipping companies).
Once you compared the shipping quotes and selected a company to move your car with, you need to deliver it to the loading warehouse or directly to the ocean port. If you are not too far from a major ocean port or a big city - you may just drop off your car yourself. In other case, you can hire any of the automobile transporters to do the job for you. Make certain you pay for door-to-door delivery and note that the ultimate point is an export ocean terminal or loading warehouse of the overseas shippers. When it comes to export shipping, many of the transporters don't want to take the cars to the ports owed to congestions, time-consuming waiting lines and new TWIC card requirements . Ask your overseas shipper if they can furnish the delivery as almost all of them have their preferred vehicle transport companies.
Compulsory Documents for International Car Shipping
*** Be sure that you have on hand the original clean title for your vehicle. By "original" I mean that it must be the literal paper title supplied by your state's DMV (Department of Motor Vehicles). By "clean" I mean that it mustn't have any unsatisfied liens from the bank, credit union or any other financer. It is a prerequisite issued by the US Customs that all motorized vehicles have to be cleared for export 72 working hours before vessel's sailing date.
Option #1: Shipping Cars in Ocean Container
*** Overseas car shippers can usually provide two alternatives for you to get your car to another country: ocean container shipping or roll-on roll-off shipping. If you select ocean container option then the overseas transporter will load and tie down your car inside the ocean container most probably with other freight or cars. This is a low-budget and dependable method because the shipping company will only bill you for space that your vehicle is occupying inside the container. Another positive moment is that the container will be blocked and sealed for the whole duration of the overseas travel.
Option #2: Shipping Cars via Roll-on Roll-off carrier
*** With roll-on roll-off (RO-RO) oversea shipping your car will be need to be taken straightaway to the port and then secured inside the special vehicle carrier ship. What it involves is the port longshoremen will drive it onto the vessel at the point of origin and then drive it off the vessel at the point of destination. Your car will not be placed inside a blocked container and it's open for anybody to get inside (that's typically when personal items and accessories go missing). Ro-Ro routes are also restricted in the countries coverage so depending upon your origin & destination this option might not be obtainable for your country. Another note is that ports won't admit non-operable vehicle for roll-on roll-off transport service.
A few days after the vessel sails your international car shipping company will send back the original title to you along with their transportation bill of lading and directions on how to claim your vehicle at the place of arrival. It is always safe to get hold of the overseas port agent beforehand to re-confirm the estimated arrival dates and get the paperwork managed to accelerate the discharge and delivery process of your car.
There are many car shipping companies nowadays providing a variety of car shipping services. BY far, the cheapest and most economical way of shipping a car is by using open multi car carriers.
These carriers are huge trucks that can carry up to 10 cars at one time. You may have seen some of these on the roads before. They usually have 2 levels and can carry 4 to 5 cars on each level. Because they are so long and high, they are limited to travel along major highways and roads with no obstruction of low hanging trees and bridges.
When shopping around for cheap car shipping services, there are a couple of pointers you need to bear in mind
1) Federal Car Shipping License
All car shipping companies need to be registered with a federal license before they are allowed to ship cars. Make sure you ask the car shipping company for proof that they carry the federal license.
2) Extra Cost
Some car shipping companies appear to offer very cheap transport services but in fact, there are many hidden cost that they do not state upfront.
Make sure you check with the company the total cost of shipping up front before signing the agreement letter. Examples of hidden cost are usually fuel surcharges, car insurance and extra charges for shipping to your house.
3) Door to Door Or Terminal To Terminal
Not all car shipping services will ship the car to your house. Some car shipping companies only deliver to major cities and towns and will deposit your car in a terminal. From there, you will collect your car. There are also some companies that charges additional fees for shipping to your house.
In any case, make sure you ask the car shipping company whether they provide door to door delivery for terminal to terminal delivery. In most cases, terminal to terminal is cheaper.
4) Shipping Insurance
Make sure you have sufficient insurance coverage when shipping your car. Some car shipping companies already factor in the insurance in the total shipping cost while others require additional cost.
It's also important to know what you are being covered. Most car shipping insurance cover against damage and loss of vehicles up to a certain amount. Make sure you know all the details before signing the agreement.
With so many cheap car shipping services available today, you should take your time and search for a few car shipping quotes before deciding on one.