Car shipping from Bodega Bay across the continent is not only possible these days it’s also easy. With today’s technology, international car shipping is relatively easy compared to what it used to be in the past. Communications technologies are flawless and you can even track your car online.That being the case, international car shipping saw a great surge lately.
A lot of people find it unnecessary to sell their car especially if it’s their baby, when they need to move abroad. Another reason for not selling a car is when it’s still relatively new and buying a new one is just expensive for you at the moment. If you are planning to move abroad with your car, there are a few things that you need to know about car shipping, so read on. In this article I will be giving you some tips that you can follow in order to ship your car across international boarder without a hitch.
1. The standard services As far as international car shipping is concerned, the standard service is the roll on roll off method also known as ro-ro method. In this type of service, all you need to do is drive your car to the cargo deck of the ship. Once in there, it will be securely fastened and that’s it, all you need to do is go to your suite and wait until you arrive. The moment you arrive, you will then drive your car outside of the ship and then you are good to go. That is why it is called roll on roll off.
2. Enclosed container Your other option would be to use a close container. This is a bit pricey but it offers a lot of protections for your car. If you choose this option, your car will be placed within a closed container and will strapped secured into place. The real advantage of the closed container against the ro-ro method is that your car is not exposed to the natural elements.
3. Insurance policy An insurance policy is one thing that you have to be sure you have when shipping your car internationally. If you are short on money, you can get a $500 coverage for standard cosmetic damage. If you want a full coverage, you have to get a Marine Shipping Insurance for a higher price. The one thing that you have to avoid is shipping your car without a coverage because not only is it illegal, it’s also dangerous.
4. Know the different levies When crossing international boundaries, you have to know the levies of different countries. At this point, you will have to decide whether it is more feasible to just sell your car or to continue with the car shipping process because levies can make the overall cost quite high. For example, countries like Australia and France charge custom fees at 30% of the car’s Blue Book value.
5. Other reminders Be sure that you are present both during the pre-shipping and post-shipping inspection. This is important because all the current damages of your car must be clearly spelled out. You must have your own copy of the bill of lading because you will need this upon the arrival of your car.If you know these things, you will see that international car shipping isn’t really that difficult. Just remember, you don’t need to prematurely sell your car in case you need to move abroad because international car shipping is now safe and doable.
Do You Have Any Of These Top Ten Auto Shipping Concerns in Bodega Bay?
International Car Shipping - A Car Shipping Guide
Historical events are captured in the music of the era. 'Over There,' 'How 'Ya Gonna Keep 'em Down on the Farm after They've Seen Paree, and 'When Johnny Comes Marching Home' were some of the Doughboy songs of World War I. Al Jolson singing 'Brother, Can You Spare a Dime', and 'Dust Bowl Blues' marked the Great Depression. 'Fightin Side of Me' revealed the nation's conflict over Vietnam in the '60s. So it is only natural that the automobile, which changed American life forever would be immortalized in song and it was.
At first the automobile was only for the wealthy and this was reflected in early sheet music. Even though there were no lyrics, 'The Swagger' and 'Up Broadway' featured fashionably dressed urban couples with an automobile. Then came the song 'The Auto Man' with the lyrics implying that ownership of an automobile indicated wealth and prestige. But along came Henry Ford who pledged to manufacture an automobile that the man on the street could afford and he kept his promise. In October 1908 the first Model T's, priced at $850, rolled off the assembly line. Over nineteen years of production, its price would drop to $260. The Model T was referred to as the Tin Lizzie and the Flivver and became the subject of many songs. Lizzie is a nickname for Elizabeth and was a popular name for horses at that time.
So then they sang:
Old Zeke Perkins sold his hogs the other day,
The gosh-darned fool threw his money right away;
Rode into town, sittin on a board,
Came home ridin' in a brand-new Ford!
However, the roads were still designed for horses and did not easily accommodate the speed of the new tin horse so in 1912 along came the song, "Bump, Bump, Bump in Your Automobile." While the song lyrics emphasized the poor road conditions, one line inferred that women were attracted to male car owners with the words "Molly May said she loved Willie Green. Best of all she loved Willie's machine." This theme was repeated in many of the early automobile songs.
And the poor road conditions often resulted in mechanical breakdowns that popularized the tune, 'Get Out and Get Under' with the cover sheet depicting a well dressed man under a cabriolet with his legs extended, wrench in hand and his fashionably dressed lady friend in the passenger seat looking down anxiously. The freedom provided by this new invention also carried over to courting customs allowing more opportunities for intimacy and privacy triggering some social anxiety about the relationships between unmarried couples. This together with the liberation of single women in the Roaring 20's inspired tunes such as 'Up and Down the Eight Mile Road,' 1926.
There were also songs about particular models like 'Cole 30 Flyer' with the lyrics 'You will win me Bill, heart and soul, if you buy a Cole.' These may well have been early attempts at product-placement advertising. Since Ford was producing most of the automobiles of the era, they were popular song subjects. In 1928 when the Model A was introduced, Walter O'Keefe wrote 'Henry's Made a Lady out of Lizzie'. Abner Silver and Jack Meskell followed with 'Poor Lizzie, what will become of you now that your sister is here.'
Hawaii poses a unique set of challenges to shipping an automobile. The import procedure is the same as anywhere else in the United States but the actual physical delivery of the vehicle requires some additional work.
Hawaii, even though it's considered one state, is made up of five separate islands that all have a different port of call. If you are moving to one of these islands you can't just tell a shipping company that you need auto shipping to Hawaii. It's necessary to be more specific.
The main port of entry for imports is Honolulu at the island of Oahu. This harbor services the capitol city and is the normal import point for most goods that are brought into Hawaii by ship. If you are auto shipping to Hawaii and you have your vehicle sent to Honolulu it is possible to transport it to another island by ferry without having to pay another duty or import tax.
Other available ports are Hilo on the island of Hawaii, Kahului on Maui, Kawaihe on Hawaii, Nawiilwili on Kauai, Kaunakakai on Mologai and Kaumalapau on Lanai. If you are going to Hawaii for the first time check with your shipping company to make sure you send your car to the port nearest to where you will be staying.
Taxes and fees for auto shipping to Hawaii differ based on the point of origin. If you are shipping from another state and have already paid excise tax in that state there will be no additional duty when you reach Hawaii. The exception to this is a purchase of a vehicle made less than ninety days before shipping. If your car is a new acquisition you will have to pay a Hawaii use tax unless you can prove that it was purchased to be used elsewhere and the auto shipping to Hawaii is incidental.
If you are importing a car from another country into Hawaii you will be subject to duty tax assessed by the United States Customs office. As with any other international import, remove all personal items and anything that might be considered a taxable or contraband item from the vehicle before shipping. Your auto shipping company should be able to tell you what the import tax will be when you reach Hawaii.
Car dealers and military personnel are the only people not subject to a use tax in Hawaii, but they may be subject to import or duty tax depending on the number of vehicles being shipped. This is the area where it becomes crucial to have a reliable auto shipping company handle your affairs. Find someone with experience and knowledge in the area of fees and services when you ship a vehicle. It's going to be expensive no matter what you do, but a quality shipping company can help you avoid unnecessary costs and headaches.